Friday, August 3, 2012

Follow Friday #9


(Do you notice the new blog design? It's kind of hard to miss. It used to be so pink, now it's so... white. I'm having a frustrated time trying to find a perfect blog design.)

FF is a weekly meme hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee. This week's question is...

Q: Do your reading habits change based on your mood? Do you read a certain genre if you are feeling depressed or happy?

It kind of depends on your definition of "reading habits". I always read only one book at a time, no matter my mood - if I try to read two books at once, even for school, I feel like I'm cheating on it. I always have a grace period of no reading (except online or virtual reading, which I don't count as "real" reading) for a book I just finished reading. So, no, those don't change based on my mood. No matter how badly I feel upset, I can always find solace in the book I'm currently reading, or by daydreaming if I've finished it.

As for genres... my mood changes quicker than I read. If I feel depressed (for longer than an hour or a day), I'm more likely to pick up fantasy, which is my absolute, all-time favorite genre. When I feel calm or at peace for longer than an hour, I'm more receptive to all genres. I still might not pick up romance, but I might pick up general fiction, or sci-fi, or even paranormal. I might even pick up a whimsical MG book, if I'm bordering on long-term happiness.

What are your thoughts? Don't forget to comment! Have a blessed Friday and keep reading!

6 comments:

  1. I know! I always use to read more than one book at a time but I stopped and now I love reading ONE book at a time! :)

    New GFC follower!

    My post can be found here: www.blogofabookaholic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly about that grace period you're talking about--I NEVER start a new book the same day I finish an old one. It's very therapeutic to just

    P.S: I'm a new follower! Don't be afraid to fearlessly visit my "Frivolously Follow Me this Friday!" post. Many thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could make myself have a grace period!
    When Im writing in my book, then I dont read AS MUCH.
    But when IM not writing, I read like crazy, starting a new book, finishing it and starting another one all the same day.
    haha

    Old follower
    My FF
    -Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I take a rest between books. Usually if a book blows me away and I think nothing will ever compare I wait at least a day or two before starting the next book.

    I choose books based on my mood as well. Return to favorites when I'm down.

    My follow friday. Please visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, I have no such qualms about reading two or even three books at once! But I agree, my book choices don't change based on mood...

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  6. My reading is never affected by my mood genre-wise. But when i'm very very depressed or sad or angry i often won't read if my book is, say, not one i'm enjoying that much. Mostly i'll just cry and then feel better :L

    Thanks for replying to my comment. I'd love you to enter! That'd be great (: Thank you!!

    http://madrosesandoopsydaisies.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/time-for-competition.html

    ReplyDelete