Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tuesday Research

White Tigers

First, let me say, that I don't fully remember where I got this information. I used a variety of different websites and sort of stitched similar information together from them all. Plus, it was almost a year ago now - the date on the top of my notes says 12/14/11. And my memory is pretty spotty at best.

But I do have this much:
  • The striking white coat is caused by a recessive gene. Bengal tigers are the only subspecies in which it occurs.
  • Tigers are the largest member of the cat family and renowned for power and strength. They have strong hind muscles to pounce on prey.
  • Bengals hunt at dusk/night. They kill their prey by a bite to the neck.
  • White tigers suffer from inbreeding, since they are rarely found in the wild and... well, humans love them. The limiting of the gene pool can cause low tolerance for pain, disease, and anesthesia, as well as distorted spines or cleft plates.
  • They can eat up to 40 pounds of fresh kill (I believe that number fluctuates a little) at one time, but then theyeon't eat for several days after.
  • Wild tigers can live between 10 and 15 years. Tigers in captivity live between 16 and 20 years. (But white tigers, as mentioned above, used to be and might still in some places be subjected to inbreeding.)
  • They don't have good stamina. Prefer ambushing their prey - they are also good swimmers, but poor climbers.
To be really honest, I did this post because it's the last day of the month, and I can't resist. But I do love tigers - they were the inspiration of several (failed) attempts at stories. I still hope to one day be able to publish a fictional story from the viewpoint of a tiger.

I might make this a semi-weekly feature. You can leave suggestions for future topics in the comments. :) Have a blessed Tuesday and keep writing!



Photo by Alan L. HERE is where I found it - flickr, to be specific.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post. So you're into white tigers, huh? I think a book about them would be fascinating! I didn't know that they could be unhealthy because of their genetics. Very interesting! :D

    ReplyDelete